Laptop Dew & Light Shield
A laptop computer is a great companion to your telescope but you'd better protect it from dew. You'll also need to shield the light so it won't annoy others (as well as cover the screen with a red filter). The following instructions will help you build a custom dew and light shield that folds flat for storage.
- Corrugated Plastic Sheet -- Corrugated plastic sheet (pictured above) is readily available at most hardware stores. It is also commonly used for campaign signs so you may be able to obtain a few leftover signs after an election (just spray paint over the graphics). Do not use cardboard or foam poster board as they will warp when wet.
- Spray Paint -- Paint the inside flat black to prevent screen light being reflected toward others.
- Packaging Tape -- Clear Heavy Duty tape works well and is almost invisible.
- Velcro -- Fastens the sides of the enclosure when in use and allows easy folding for storage.
- Red Filter Material -- While not technically part of the dew shield, cover the laptop screen with red transparent material to preserve your dark adaptation. Sloan's Woodshop carries 1/16" thick plexiglass and #997 Red works really well.